A sub-division of oldpunks.com

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Review: Saves The Day - Stay What You Are

Time again to review a cd by a popular band that's loved/hated by the young and tragically hip.

Stay What You Are from Saves The Day is listed as their best so I placed it on my personal victrola and turned the crank a few times. The word I want to use for it is serviceable, which I don't mean as an insult. It's very good actually, and if I was of a certain young demographic I'd go for this in a big way.

By my account, Saves The Day would be a third wave emo band, correlating nicely with third wave ska. There's some third wave ska I like but for me it's a pale comparison to The Specials or Toots and the Maytals. Saves The Day are poppier than what came before it, evoking Weezer, a band that fits yet doesn't in the emo category. The melodies are tuneful and the sing-alongs fun, but my gawd, if Radio Disney played emo this might be it. That's my way of saying it's music for kids who could easily be MY kids.

In general I think emo is a great genre, at least musically. It's creative, sonically sweeping and usually pretty peppy. The "emotional" aspects fly over my head. Lyrics are mostly sounds to me and I can't make out half of them anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I've sold every Saves The Day album I had (I think I had their first and "Can't Slow Down") because I just never got into them. If you want the two BEST STD songs ever recorded go get the first Vagrant Records compilation, "Another Year On The Streets." It might be titled "Vol 1" also. It's got a gray cover with a guy with a guitar on it. It has two songs, "A Drag in D Flat" and "Sell My Old Clothes, I'm Off To Heaven." This was the only one of these comps that I got into and for some reason following this particular era I never liked another thing I heard on Vagrant Records (except Rocket From The Crypt). Maybe it's because I was 20 years old at the time.

5:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home